What happens if the other driver involved in the accident is not insured or has minimal coverage?


Video Transcription

If you’re involved in an auto accident in the state of Florida and you’re injured, and the person that caused the accident has no coverage or a minimal $10,000 bodily injury policy, you can also obtain some coverage through your own insurance company if you have purchased uninsured motorist coverage. If you have not purchased what we call UM insurance, you do have the right to sue that driver personally for the damages if they did not obtain the appropriate insurance to cover your injuries. However, you do need to do need to do an asset check to determine if that person even has assets. If you go through this process and receive a judgment and can’t collect on it, it really does not do you a whole lot of good.

The other option that you have is to go through Victim’s Assistance if you have sustained injuries in an accident and have out of pocket expenses. That program will contact the defendant driver, will make them responsible for the bills and if they aren’t able to pay the bills, they could actually have your driver’s license suspended.

Fill out my online form.

Related FAQs

Related Blogs

The Social Security Disability Backlog Rises Over 1 Million

Hit and Run Accident Tampa FL – What to Do if You are a Victim

More Videos

Get your questions answered - call us for your free consultation (813) 873-0180